Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bonsia and the Art of Fear Mongering

Last weekend Trish and I went to the CARD Center for the Chico Bonsai Society's annual exhibition. Bonsai is an ancient art-form that involves intentionally keeping trees small. But this is a massively incomplete explanation of a practice that involves mind and spirit. To quote from a piece Trish wrote on the subject of Bonsai: “A focused, contemplative grooming or creation of a Bonsai keeps the practitioner in the here and now; it is a meditation on, and integration with, the materials and the prospective result. Caring for a Bonsai piece requires the dedication and consistency of a religious acolyte, or at least that of an appreciative worshiper. To put ones' self into the miniature landscape, noting minute changes to the health and form of the plants, and the balance of composition, strips away both the outside world and the inner brain chatter; as is the aim of all successful meditations or prayer.”

As you might be able to tell, Trish is a Bonsai devotee. I'm not as knowledgeable as she, but I'll tell you what – those little trees are super cool! Seriously, there were perhaps a couple of dozen of these immaculately groomed, beautiful trees lined up in the CARD Center. We went on Saturday morning and the light filtering through the top of the wooden structure was just awesome. The Bonsai trees draw you in – you can't help but study the shape and structure of the trees. I am an admirer of nature – I suppose most of us our. But I have never really looked at a plant, in its totality, the way I looked at these trees. I've looked at the flowers, or the foliage, or the plant itself – but this was so incredible. These are genuine, mature trees – some of them 20, 30, even 40 years old. And yet, because of the diminutive size of the specimens, I was able to look at them completely. It is hard to describe – I felt like a bird, or a giant. I was able to see an entire, mature tree, from the top, or the side. We've all seen trees from below – that's how we are used to seeing them. So to see them from above and to really be able to examine the tree – it expanded my mind; it widened my perspective.

The trees pull you in and compel you to focus on the details; they are nothing but detail! After I had studied the various Bonsai trees I found myself studying the folds in the skin on my knuckles; the hairs, the scaly pouches of skin. I studied the seam in my cup of coffee and the crumbs that fell from my peanut-butter cookie to the threads and stitches that made-up the table-cloth below.

Oh the Humanity!

Later in the day I wound up in the grocery store studying the people in that place – Jesus, we are strange animals. It's hard for me to conceive that we weren't a creature that ambulated on all fours at some point during our evolution. We're barely able to properly stand upright today! Our arms are wrenched, our legs are bowed; we've got crows feet and hunched-backs. Even the most beautiful specimens amongst us are pocked with freckles, moles, and blemishes What encouraged us to walk upright like we do? We were made in God's image? Really? Maybe – in a Michael Keaton, Multiplicity kind of way; each generation has become more mangled, distorted, and discombobulated. If we are really made in God's image then she must have an awfully sore back by now.

What Would Jesus Think?

Oh yeah and by the way, here's a little shout out to the Zion Worship Center for going so far over the top in blatantly exploiting insecurity and paranoia to promote their church (business). Forget love, peace, and forgiveness, now it's all about fear of the apocalypse. Way to make Jesus proud!

Whatever – to each their own. I don't mean to pick on a particular religion; I just think using fear to promote anything is a cheap, low-handed tactic. If you have a church worth going to, explain why; why should I go to your church, as opposed to Joe's church down the street? Should I go because I am afraid? Or because your church has something to offer that Joe's doesn't?

Incidentally I had the exact same problem with an advertising campaign milk ran a few years back. The add showed x-rays of broken bones and played creepy music. The insinuation was that if we didn't drink milk, we would suffer broken bones and horrible pain. I think the mustaches on athletes was a better tact. State the positive things that could happen if we use your product – not the negatives that could befall us if we don't.

That's my two cents.

Madbob@madbob.com

No comments: