Thursday, October 11, 2007

College

I remember college being a time of concentrated learning – a lot of change can happen in a very short span of time. People discover who they really are or start charting a course for the future. It’s a time of experimentation and adventure. In college I discovered passions I didn’t know I had and those four plus years shaped my personality and put me on the road to who I am today and who I will become tomorrow. Good times, bad times, and some just plain weird times –I learned a ton and made some incredible memories and friendships.

Looking back there were things I would do again and a few other things I would not recommend.

Do

Change your major. If you get a few years into school and it turns out you’re not really enjoying what you’re studying, try something else! People end up in a certain major for a variety of reasons – earning potential being near the top of the list. But if you can find something you’re really passionate about you will give yourself the potential to have a truly fulfilling career.

Play in a band. If you even have the inclination to start a band do it! You don’t have to be good – in fact almost all great bands started out as not very good bands. Chico has a rich musical history and many of the successful bands from this town were spawned on the Chico State campus. And even if your band never tours the country or signs to a label you’ll still have a great time. Music is a tremendous release from the day to day stress of school, work, whatever. Be part of the river that is music.

Start a Business. If you are the entrepreneur type Chico is a fantastic community to start up a business. Two businesses that started in a garage and eventually went on to national success are Sierra Nevada Brewery and Synthesis Magazine.

Take up an activity. I went to school in Southern California and ended up surfing because pretty much everyone in my dorm was a surfer and it became obvious that if I didn’t pick it up I’d end up spending a lot of time by myself. At home in the suburban east bay area I never imagined I would be a surfer but once I started I was hooked. I surfed everyday for years. I was part of a closely-knit group of friends who spent a lot of time in the water together and I took several memorable surfing trips capped by a three month expedition that took me and three friends up and down both coasts of Mexico in a white Dodge van.

Party. I’m not saying you should go out and get bombed every night, (though I’m not saying you shouldn’t) but you should go out and socialize. There is a space or a scene for everyone and the social skills you develop in college will help you in any field you eventually go into.

Go to shows. I went to a fair amount of music shows but honestly I wish I went to more. Nothing beats catching that quality band in a small venue and if you go to shows regularly here in town you will be treated to some great performances.


Don’t

Don’t fall in love with pot. I got into pot-smoking pretty heavily and ended up spending more time than I wish I had anchored to my couch. Lame. I know some people handle pot better than others but for me I probably wasted years of my life being stoned. I’m not saying don’t get stoned, but do get off the couch. You’ll never look back at your life and say “gee I wish I spent more time on the couch.”

Don’t have a steady girlfriend or boyfriend. This was my biggest college mistake. I had a college girl-friend for three years. Then two months after we graduated we broke up. Stupid stupid stupid. I don’t know what I was thinking and I wish someone had shook me and said “hey dumbass, look at all the girls around here!” Seriously. Stupid.

To Sum Up

Do stuff. That’s my overall point here. Be spontaneous, try new things. Soon enough life and all it’s responsibilities will come crashing down around you and you’ll be spending more time than you ever could have imagined sitting in traffic, talking on the telephone, or staring at a computer screen. Now is the time to get out there, go to an art-show, a demolition derby, a rock show or a rodeo. Find your scene while trying others. Keep your eyes and your mind wide open and experience everything college life has to offer.

No comments: