Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Funny Story about Para-Gliding



I was just remembering this time when I lived in North Lake Tahoe and this friend of mine convinced me to help him go para-gliding off of a mountain-side. He totally looked pro - he had a jump-suit and a helmet, and the parachute and everything, and he needed me to help him keep the parachute unfurled while he ran down the mountain-side and theoretically caught air, then updrafts, and floated around for awhile.

I couldn't manage to keep the parachute spread out and unfurled very well on my own, so we flagged down these two passing tourists who were heading up the road to Reno. They were curious and sort of amazed by the whole process, and more than willing to help. With the three of us it was no problem to keep the parachute spread out and unfurled.

My friend gave us the signal and went running down the mountain side and we let go of the parachute. It filled with air and he managed to get off the ground; but he didn't get very far off the ground. Instead he floated along about five or ten feet off of the ground until he got hung up in some trees about 30 or 40 yards down the mountain.

Well the tourists high-tailed it out of there pretty quick, maybe sensing some kind of pending litigation or something, and I was left to help fish my friend out of the tree.

That was funny.

No comments: