Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Midnight Confessions and Buying the Farm


My name is Bob Howard and I have a confession to make. I (pause) am a (deep, drawn out sigh accompanied by shoulder shrug) hoarder (drop head to chest). I didn’t realize this until Trish and my recent move from our residence in South Chico to our new home/farm in Los Molinos. You would have thought the fact that I had to high-step through my garage to get from one side to another would have clued me in, but I am fairly stubborn when it comes to admitting my own faults and flaws. During the move though, my problem became undeniable. After about 14 round trips in my truck and a couple more with not only my truck, but a 14 foot panel truck, a full-sized pick-up truck, and another full-sized pick-up truck towing a flatbed trailer, we managed to move nearly everything out of our house, garage, and root cellar/basement. In the process we managed to fill up another house, a massive shop, and part of an open pole barn. The place is full-up – unbelievable. The only saving grace is the fact that I no longer have to high-step through the shop – I had enough foresight to lay out some narrow pathways in between the stacks of boxes.

As a result of this move I don’t really know what’s been going on for the last few weeks. I know the play-offs are happening, and somebody told me whose going to be playing in the league championship games, but I’m not going to try and guess whose going to play in the Super Bowl. If anybody gave me even odds I would have bet my house on the Saints defeating the Seattle Seahawks, and that about tells you how proficient I can be at betting football games. I think I was 1 and 3 during the first week of the playoffs. I heard the Patriots are out, taken down by the unlikely Jets. I’d like to see a ring on LaDanian Tomlinson’s hand some day.

I have no idea what’s been happening in the news; I haven’t even had a chance to glance at CNN or Drudge – my usual news source staples. NPR this morning was reporting on political fencing. I tend to take that as a sign that nothing really tragic has happened in the last few days – so that’s good.

So I live on a farm now – 10 acres complete with a creek, wild oak trees; and I’m informed by our neighbor that we have some coyotes that roam the property during the winter; then strike out for higher ground during the hotter months. I’ve dug a few holes and Trish has put our first few plants in the ground, and I’ve even had a moment or two to sit by the creek and suck down a cold beer. But nothing has really set in yet; the adrenaline is still flowing and my mind is scattered.

I am anticipating a restful night of sleep sometime in the near future. I’m hoping for it – because I could really use it.

madbob@madbob.com

No comments: